Saturday, December 26, 2015

December 7th-31st (The Grand Finale!)

Pictured here is the final pile of stuff that will be making its exit as part of the 2015 decluttering project.  The pile doesn't include the sheets and pillows on my messy bed (I must confess I have never seen the point of daily bed making), but it does include clothing, purses, wallets, unused shelf paper, resume paper, a flamingo travel mug, a Spongebob pin, cookbooks and several other assorted items.

I am thrilled to have completed this project, since I don't consider myself someone who is particularly good at following through on long-term goals.  I've also really enjoyed the enthusiastic responses I've received from everyone I've shared the idea with. 

Since this is my final post, here are a few things I've learned over the past year:

  1. My mind is very sneaky.  Even when I know my attachment to something is completely irrational, I am still able to come up with a dozen reasons why I can't get rid of it.  For example, there were several times I had a hard time getting rid of an item that had been packed away so long that I didn't even remember I had it.
  2. I have more hiding places in my small house than I ever imagined.
  3. Picking out clothes in the morning is much easier now that I've gotten rid of most of the things I knew I would never wear.
  4. Single-purpose kitchen gadgets should be some of the first things to go.  Who needs a tomato slicer when I knife works just fine?
  5. One of the most difficult aspects of getting rid of things is deciding where they need to go.  Donating is the easiest solution, but not everything is donation worthy.  I try to recycle what I can, but, unfortunately, some items are just destined for a landfill.  Rob and I are still due for a trip to a local convenience center to get rid of some our old electronics.
  6. I have not missed or regretted getting rid of one single item.  No matter how attached I thought I was to something, once it was gone, I never gave it much thought again.  
  7. Even after getting rid of 365 items, I still feel like I have a long way to go.  My plan is to continue to do one item a month as a way to continue being mindful of my possessions.





No comments:

Post a Comment